So, this past weekend I've had the best realization. I think it's important to note that I've been doing this Favor Fast, which has been amazing. My church has chosen to fast (whether it's from sun up to sun down, or a vegetarian diet) and to pray for favor in our finances. We have prayed to get out of debt, to have enough money to enjoy life, and to see favor in our finances overall. I have found myself reading Bible verses every night, jumping on the prayer hotline to join in prayer with others and I've just felt good all over.
However, when it comes to prayers and things I've noted on my "wish list", I don't have a lot to ask for. I mean, I have student loans. I'm looking to buy a house (while technically owning one already). But in the big scheme of things, I don't need much. God has already blessed me with enough money for trips and good times. I've been on at least 4 trips this year, from LA, to NYC, to Vegas and overseas to China. And I'm already planning at least 2 trips for next year.
While in church this Sunday, I felt like I needed to give a seed. I needed to help someone else. And now, I feel like that's what I've been called to do. This is not the season necessarily for me to get lots of money that I don't need, but to give to others. My pastor asked for people to give a seed and he paid people's bills right there in the sanctuary. That felt really good. To turn someone's lights on. In this economy, where some people are genuinely struggling, it's crazy for me to ask for so much... especially when I'm already so blessed. It felt really good to give, and it didn't hurt me.
This is that time of the year when people feel the most generous. And that's true for me. I'm not worried about putting food on my table for Thanksgiving or about putting gifts under the tree. But someone is worried about those things. I can't imagine having to choose between food on the table and keeping on the lights. And while a part of me knows there are people that are cheating the system in some way, or that are in a bad position due to their bad decision, I also know that there are really deserving people.
I think it was DuBois that called the Talented Tenth to lend a hand to those not so well to do. And while I may not have Beyonce or Jay Z money, there is still something I can do for someone who will appreciate it. So I say all this to rave about how good it feels to be in a position to help others. And to rave about this Favor Fast. I have never been the type of person to read the Bible everyday, or fast outside of Lent, but doing this Favor fast has been really enlightening. I encourage you all to do something positive and let God work through you.
Love, Ushie
No comments:
Post a Comment