2011 Here We Go

R&R has been something I've wanted to do for a while because it's a way for me to vent about things that drive me crazy. And a lot of things drive me crazy.

Anyway I frequently amuse my friends with my rants, so why not share this enjoyment with others.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Whipped into Shape

 For the last week, I've had to do things I've never done: Get up early, go directly home after work and take morning and evening walks. Why, you may ask? Because I've been dog-sitting!  Mom has been on vacation and I have been tasked with taking care of the oh so lovable, but hyper active Prince!

He's always been a really sweet boy. Since Mom brought him home over a year ago we have doted on Prince and pretty much spoiled him rotten! I love Prince, but I can't say he's a "good dog". He pulls his leash, barks incessantly at passersby and other dogs. I'm pretty sure he has a mental problem based on how is chases his tail and gnaws on it. But he's our nut case. Either way, G (the beau) has always been a bit annoyed by our boy.







So, since I've been on doggie duty, G took the opportunity to whip our little boy into shape. Between you and I, I think G was a little jealous of how loving I was to Prince (he's my baby!). Over one weekend, G was able to get Prince to stop pulling on a leash, stop barking at other dogs and otherwise chill out. Prince is usually always running around, but he has calmed down a whole lot. I think having a male present really had an effect on Prince. When G commanded him to sit in his deep voice, there was no question about who was the pack leader.

The simple truth of the matter is that G took the time and was patient and consistent with Prince. Whereas, I'm not home long enough to give Prince the time and attention he needed. And Mom hasn't established herself as a pack leader. She wants him to be better behaved but she babies him way too much for him to respect her. I'm hoping that when he goes back home, all of G's work won't be undone. I'll have to be a little more involved and train Mom up a bit to be a bit more firm with him. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the benefits of having a well-trained dog :)

No comments:

Post a Comment